Monday, June 16, 2008

Its Euro time!!!!!!

When I decided to write my own blog,I was a bit uncertain what should it cover??? I must admit that being a football fanatic the only thing that motivated me for a long time was writing about football only. I dreamt on basing my blog on the likes of my favorite ones like arseblog,goodplaya,Le grove and many others. If someone follows European football with a fifth of my obsession then he can easily come to the conclusion which team I support: ARSENAL.
So it shouldn’t surprise anyone that when the Euro 2008 is going on in full sway, my blog should cover it. I am supporting Germany, apparently for no reason other than that all my childhood sporting heroes had been Germans-Steffi Graf, Lothar Matthews, Michael Schumacher and Jurgen Klinsmann. It was heartbreaking to see them capitulate against the Croats( those horrible nightmares of WC 98’ coming back).Don’t know why but my gut feeling says Deutschland wouldn’t surrender meekly(its simply not in their blood!),they would outgun the Austrians and march forward though I cant guarantee that on 29th of June they will lift the cup or not.
The team which has been most pleasing to the eyes and the senses is obviously Holland. The Orange Brigade has started the tournament with aplomb, their football a mixture of footballing technique of the highest level and controlled aggression. The way they dismantled Les Blues(another of my favorites, thanks to Titi) was simply a classic act.
From the Gunners point of view it was heartening to see Robin Van Persie getting to the scoring charts. The next few days should get very exciting as the tournament approaches the knock-out stage. Keep looking for this space for more updates.
And by the way India lost the final of an obscure tri-series to Pakistan(why I am not feeling sad?) just for the sake of information.
That will be all for today. Your comments are valuable, so keep them coming.

1 comment:

Canonical Cacophony said...

German this time for a change is on my fav list..actually..hadnt been following Euro, till the last time in 2004... till then International Soccer meant WC and there I am the Fan of the GOD: Argentina.
anyways... the Neths are also my hot favourites, but the Croates made everyone look with awe with their form...